Monday, August 8, 2011

The Best Buttercream Icing EVER




A good friend of mine shared her recipe for buttercream icing with me years ago. I believe it was a recipe she learned working for a caterer or baker, and it has taken on many different forms while I was trying to figure out all of Jackson's digestive issues. At one time, you probably wouldn't have recognized any of the ingredients, but this is the final recipe as it has been imprinted in my memory. I'm pretty sure that this is very close to the original minus the specialty ingredients, and I can't imagine using any other recipe for my little guy's cakes. He LOVES it! So, when my friend reads this post, THANK YOU, and I hope you don't mind my sharing it with the world.

1 cup (2 sticks) Butter
1 cup Shortening
1 large bag (24-32 oz.) Powdered Sugar (365 Everyday Value, a Whole Foods store brand, and Trader Joe's store brand powdered sugar does not contain corn starch.)
5 tsp Vanilla Extract (Rodelle or Spice Island)
1/2 tsp salt
Enough water to smooth mixture to proper consistency

Cream butter and shortening. Add vanilla and salt. Mix well. Add sugar a little at a time until well blended. Add water to desired consistency. Spread onto cake or refrigerate for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment